Despite Losses, Rent Board To Stay Open

The Cambridge Rent Control Board will finish the year without layoffs or service cutbacks, City Manager Robert Healy promised the City Council Monday.

Healy's assurance came after testimony from Maria Imparato, director of the Rent Control Board, who said a $70,000 revenue shortfall meant "my office will not be able to function. We will not be able to close out the year."

The revenue deficit is the result of overprojecting income from $2 filing fees which the board instituted this year, Imparato said. Although the board budget predicts $133,000 will be raised by the fees, only $60,000 is likely, Imparato said. The rest of the agency's $430,000 budget comes from tax revenues.

The Rent Control Board is charged with enforcing the city's rent limits, adjusting rents, monitoring evictions and hearing complaints.

Healy said he was "confident" that "we can balance the books next year" by transferring money from one city account to another. "I'm sure the rent control administration can survive through till the end of the year," he added.

The controversy sparked a council debate over the entire practice of charging fees to landlords and tenants using the Rent Board. Several city councilors said the scheme had never been approved.

"We made it known we didn't want fees charged; but some people went through the back door and did it anyway," councilor Alfred E. Vellucci said, adding that he might consider asking the council to put an end to the fees.

Such a ban would cause a "logistical nightmare" since Rent Board officials would have to refund all fees already paid, Healy said, adding, though, that "such a decision could be absorbed."

"Is there any risk of closing the board?" Vellucci asked. "No," Healy replied. "Any risk of layoffs?" Vellucci inquired. "No, not at all," Healy answered again.