Nesson Elected President of Hospital

Result of National Search for Candidates

The Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) Board of Trustees Saturday announced the appointment of Dr. H. Richard Nessen '54, associate professor of Health Services at the School of Public Health, as the hospital's new president.

Replacement

Nesson replaces Dr. Robert G. Petersdorf, who resigned in September 1981 to become dean of health sciences at the University of California in San Diego.

The choice of Nesson followed a national search for candidates, F. Stanton Deland, Chairman of the BWH Board of Trustees, said. Deland said that the hospital "sought an experienced administrator with full knowledge of the complex requirements of running a major teaching hospital...in a time of growing medical knowledge and limited resources."

Innovative

Nesson possesses these qualities, Deland said, and "has participated in innovative developments in health care management in Boston over the last 20 years.

"I am very excited by such a tremendous opportunity," Nesson said yesterday. He added that he plans to spend a month travelling and deciding on innovations to the hospital.

A graduate of Boston University Medical School, Nesson originated and directed the Harvard Community Health Plan. Deland said. At BWH Nesson held the post of vice president of the ambulatory and community health services. Nesson, a specialist in internal medicine, spent eight years at Beth Israel Hospital, where he acted as physician-in-chief.

Merger

The creation of BWH was the result of a merger in January 1975 of three Harvard teaching hospitals: the Peter Bent Brigham, the Robert W. Brigham, and the Boston Hospital for Women.