Professors Discuss Nuke War Effects In Soviet T.V. Film

Two Harvard professors will discuss with Soviet doctors the medical effects of nuclear war in a pre-taped special to be shown on national public television tonight.

The Soviet-produced program, already aired in June to an estimated 100 million viewers in the USSR, was not censored in Russia.

"It is an unprecedented program because they have never permitted Americans to run wild on their television before," one of the participants, Dr. Bernard Lown from School of Public Health (SPH).

The other Harvard participant, Dr. James E. Mullen, also from SPH, said the program is "the best evidence yet" that the Soviet government is not preparing for "victory" in a nuclear war.

"The government would not allow its people to see if they were entertaining any such thoughts." Mullen said.

All six doctors on the program--including Soviet President Leonid I. Brezhnev's personal physician--agreed that there would be no winner in a nuclear war. "We all came to the same concludion because the medical facts on the effects of nuclear war are the same the world over." Mullen said.

Peace Award

Lown received the first Cardinal Medeiros Peace Medallion Sunday for his contribution to world peace. Lown was a founding member of both Physicians for Social Responsibility and the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, which was responsible for bringing tonight's nuclear special to the U.S.

The award marks a growing involvement of the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church in the fight for nuclear disarmament, officials of the Archdiocese said.