Easy Does It

STEINER'S NEW ROLE

On the surface, the twin appointments last week of Daniel Steiner '54 and Robert Scott as Harvard vice presidents may seem like a typical symptom of corporate bloating. In fact, the selections reflect President Bok's conscious desire for a decentralized administration made up of experts who independently rule. That structure on the whole seems to have worked remarkably well during Bok's 11 years. Certainly it has eased the fortress mentality that prevailed beore 1971. Bok's predecessor, Nathan M. Pusey '28, relied exclusively on a tiny inner circle of all-purpose advisors and was widely blamed for mismanaging events such as the student protests of the late 1960s.

Nevertheless, the Steiner appointment raises serious questions. In his 12 years as Harvard's general counsel, Steiner has developed a reputation as a crack administrator--the Massachusetts Hall official whom Bok often relies on to do his dirty work. Whether it was diluting labor unions' organizing drives or quelling student demonstrations, Steiner was there as Harvard's chief troubleshooter.

The area of responsibility Steiner inherits with his new post has consistently been tinged by controversy over the last few years. Harvard Real Estate (HRE), the multi-million-dollar agency that manages University property, has repeatedly drawn flak from tenants, who complain of high rents and inconsiderate treatment. They are also upset by Harvard's refusal to recognize a budding tenants union that gelled largely because of mutual gripes.

Steiner's new role as overseer of HRE may well reflect what Mass Hall officials say it does: the most sensible and efficient way to divide up administrative responsibilities. But given Steiner's reputation as an anti-union expert, there is some room for doubt Harvard Tenants Union leaders fear that his appointment bodes ill for them and is a conscious effort by Bok to cleanse Harvard of its latest trouble spot.

Steiner, like Scott, deserves congratulations on his promotion. But we hope that, in his new role, Steiner's legendary efficiency will not preclude compromise and that his legendary toughness will not preclude empathy.