B.U. Scores in 107th Minute To Defeat Soccer Squad, 2-1

Boston University winger Greg Davies scored in the 107th minute of play to give B.U. a 2-1 overtime victory over the Harvard man's soccer team at Nickerson Field last night. The loss dropped Harvard's record to 3-5, 1-3 in the Greater Boston League.

Terrier Conrad Weledji gained control of the ball at midfield and rolled a pass upfield to right winger Greg Davies. Davies dribbled the ball towards Harvard defender. Frank Ricapito, then cut right just outside the penalty box and shot cross-field. Harvard goal-keeper Phil Coogan had no chance at the ball, which hit the left side of the net.

The goal came only two minutes after referee Stephen Sherriff failed to award a penalty shot to Harvard for a blatant take-down in the B.U. penalty box. Harvard defender Ian Hardingion had taken the ball from Davies with a beautiful tackle at midfield. Davies got up and chased Hardington, who was dribbling on goal, and brought him down from the rear just inside the box. Harvard Coach Jape Shattuck complained loudly to Sherriff and was given a yellow card.

"He is a coward," said Shattuck after the game of the ref. "Even the B.U. coach came up to me afterwards and said," You were robbed."

The teams swapped goals late in the first half, Harvard scoring first at 278. Forward Marty Sabelli floated a center from the right side of midfield to the six-yard box where Captain Lance Ayrault headed the ball over B.U. goalie Jeff Arsenault.

Six minutes later the Terriers tied the game with a Davies header off a deflected corner kick.

"For most of the game we outplayed then," said Shattuck. Harvard started quickly, and "the first half was like a practice--everything was coming off." Harvard's forwards were able to penetrate the B.U. defense almost at will and got off eight shots to B.U.'s two Harvard goalie Phil Coogan did not have to make a save until the second half.

Decadence

But in the next 45 minutes the game degenerated into a hacking match. In a futile attempt to regain control, the refs handed out five yellow cards, but the sloppy play continued. Both teams played tough defense, but neither could convert on offense.

The Terriers came alive in the 20-minute overtime period, taking five shots, including. Davies' goal, to Harvard's two.

Throughout the game, though, it was Harvard that set the pace. Harvard attackers effectively prevented B.U. from building a passing attack from the rear By attacking the ball, they forced the B.U. defenders to make long, high passes upfield, many of which were intercepted. In contrast, Harvard was able to play the ball to the midfield line with little difficulty.

The match was Harvard's second on astroturf this year--the team lost, 3-0, at Boston College on October 1--but the players did not seem to be at a major disadvantage at Nickerson Field.

After every game Coach Shattuck writes a routine report on the officiating, but he'll have some special remarks to make about last night's overnight action.

The team plays at Princeton Friday night.