Lowell House Wins, 8-0

Ends Seven-Year Winless Streak

On Thursday, they serve tea and extraordinary pastries in Lowell House Everyone crowds into the master's residence and between bites expresses sympathy for members of the House tackle football team, who earlier in the afternoon have been beaten and humiliated by larger and far less polite young men from elsewhere on campus.

That's the way it used to be Yesterday, the Lowell Bellboys, perennial laughing stocks of the Straus Cup gridiron circuit, stuck it to Leverett House and the world, winning their first game in seven years, 8-0.

Cheered on by a booster club of more than 50 hysterical fans. Lowell completely dominated the play in the first half of a game played in brilliant autumn sunshine behind the Stadium.

After fumbling on their first possession, the Bellboys drove 50 yards before halfback Jim Uehlinger took the ball over from about the five.

First-year quarterback Wayne Miller, who led the Lowell offense with poise and style, charged for a two-point conversion and finished the scoring for the day.

Leverett got as close as the 15-yard line in the second half, but the men in black and gold consistently broke through the Leverett line for sacks on crucial third-down plays.

Lowell amused the intramural football community last season by scoring for the first time since 1978 But the team looked good enough yesterday to challenge some of the respectable competition in the league.

In the meantime, the tea and pastry fasted extra sweet yesterday for those who have suffered with Lowell House football in recent seasons.