Women Harriers Capture Fourth Place in Nationals

Wiley and Stricker Are Named All-Americans

By Christopher J. Georges

The Harvard women's cross country team captured fourth place in the NCAA national championship meet yesterday in Indianapolis, the highest finish ever by an Ivy League squad.

Sophomore Kate Wiley, who nabbed seventh place, and Jenny Stricker who grabbed 16th, led the Crimson harriers. By placing among the top 25 runners in the 5000, meter race. Wiley and Stricker qualified for All-American honors.

The top five team finishers in the meet were Virginia with 47 points. Stanlord with 88 Oregon with 151 the Crimson with 165, and Clemson with 167

The team, which went undefeated all season, won the right to compete in the nationals by winning the Eastern NCAA qualifying meet on November 14

For Wiley, who finished with a time of 1716, yesterday's race marked the second time she has earned All-American honors. Having finished 25th in last years MAW 5000 meter championships in Pocatello. Idaho, where the team finished 8th, she was named an honorary member of the squad.

Stricker, who earlier in the year set the course record at Roxbury's Franklin Park in the Big. Three tri meet against Yale and Princeton, ran the course in 17-27

Freshman Lois Brommer added to her strong showing this tall by finishing 37th, and was closely followed by senior Ellen Gallagher who came in 49th and sophomore Kathy Good, who finished 54th.

Pappy Hunt, the head coach of the women's track team, said that he was pleased with the performance and that "it was very close between us and Clemson, but we ran well and pulled it out. We are very proud of the kids"

The team showed its strength consistently throughout the year by going undefeated in its dual meets, winning the Greater Boston Championships, the Big Three Meet as well as the Heptagonal Meet.

Top Finishers

1. Virginia 17

2. Stanford 88

3. Oregon 151

4. HARVARD 163

5. Clemson 167