Midshipmen Outshoot Cagers As Navy Sinks Harvard, 81-57

By Mike K. Sobler

Nothing sank for the Harvard means has kerhall team Saturday so the cagers them receives couldn't stauaf float falling to the US Naval Academy 81.57m Annapolis.

The baskets in Navy's Halsey Field House were hardened targets impervious to Comson shots. The Cagers connected on just 36 percent of their attempts from the floor and only 65 percent of their free throws at their season record fell to 2-3. Only center Monroe Trout (7-14) and guards Bob Ferry and Calvven Dixon (6-12 and 3.5) managed to hit the spot with any regularly.

Some teams can win with three guy playing well. Common Coach Frank Melaughing said We need seven guys to have a good game

Meanwhile the Midshipmen now 5.1 an a sharp shooting display, hunting on 56 percent of their attempt, Harvard 32 one kept Navy away from the hoop but the back count due of Dave Brooks and him Kuzma tired at will from the outside and connected on 14 to 20 shots Brooks and Kuzma enjoyed such success that McLaughin shifted has forces into a man-to-man defense opening up the inside for the Midshipmen's tall and weighty front line.

Low Point

I think that's the worst played this year McLaughlin said of his team's drubbing. But the Crimson mentor added. The point difference doesn't bother me. A loss is a loss."

From Harvard's standpoint, the only post five point in Saturday's non-contest was the playing time given the Crimson beneath. Every eager played at least four minutes before Navy's 1800 partisans Harvard put up such a feeble showing that McLaughlin risked nothing by clearing his beneath early

Navy's lead remained in double figures throughout the second stanza and five minutes into the hall the Midshipmen hosted a 17 point buffer. The Harvard regulars simply hadn't recovered from the strain of a rocky opening half.

As in its first four games, the Crimson spotted its opponent a sizable edge before fighting back to within striking distance Harvard netted just four points in the contest's first eight minutes, while the Midshipmen sailed to a 13-point edge.

The cagers mounted a 21-8 surge to knot the score, but the comeback left the Crimson lifeless and Navy used the half's final four and minutes to claim a 37-26 margin at the intermission.

"We ran out of gas," McLaughlin explained. "We had shots but we didn't make them," he added.

Harvard did keep pace with the Midshipmen in one area though, as the Crimson big men attacked the boards as well as they have all season Co-Captain George White led the way, hauling in nine rebounds in just 23 minutes of action.

Monroe Trout led Harvard scorers, chipping in 16 points off the bench. Trout has been recovering from a preseason strain and may break into the starting lineup when the cagers host New Hampshire tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.

THE NOTEBOOK There's no rest for the sub 500 Crimson, as the showdowns at Texas Thursday and against Stanford Dec. 21 follow UNH on the Harvard schedule. The cagers edged UNH by four last year, then nearly stunned Texas, falling in overtime, 72-71. The Stanford game is stated for the dedication of the Briggs Athletic Center.