Thank You, Room 13

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I would like to voice my appreciation for the staff of Room 13 in the basement of Stoughton Hall. Freshman year at this University is disconcerting at best and truly depressing at worst, which it was for me last night... You see, I didn't get called back for the Hasty Pudding Show tryouts. It was no surprise when I didn't find my name posted on the door of the clubhouse, but it was still a crowning failure to add to a string of them that I've experienced since arriving at Harvard. For some reason, though, this was the first one that really hit me; it pushed my spirits way down.

I went off to play substitute flutist in the pit of "Jesus Christ Superstar" where I was able to hit about 15 correct notes all evening. The night became a real winner when I realized that about half the cast and orchestra of JCS had made the callbacks and they were joking around about the dance tryouts the next morning and what a blast it was going to be. They all headed off to a party at Adams House while I went back to the Yard.

I felt terribly low as I walked back to my dorm, so I decided to try Room 13, which I had read about in "The Unofficial Guide." I think I was just about in tears by the time I got there. The place was magic. I sat down and drank some tea that they offered me and just listened to the quiet talk going on there--about the geography of Montreal. The soothing atmosphere warmed me inside and out and gave me a feeling of security. I felt much better without even opening my mouth. As I sipped the tea and collected smiles and comforting glances from the people, the anger and coldness that had collected in me began to melt and ebb. At length, I ventured to tell why I had come.

The staff member and I talked about the Pudding Show, then about freshman year, then about classes, grades, roommates, Houses, food, pizza. I think we even covered pop-tarts in there somewhere. He repeatedly reassured me that there were other chances to try out for many things, and shared some of his own experiences in his years at Harvard with me. An hour later I left, still wishing I had made the cut, but no longer attaching quite the importance to it. The room and its people had worked their magic, helped me out, and given me advice. But most importantly, they were there when I needed them, and for this I thank them. Jonathan Engel '86