Gridder Scott McCabe Sings On Side; Aquawomen Pig Out In New Haven

On The Beat

When the HARVARD WOMEN'S SWIM TEAM goes out to eat, they always do it in a big way, and after trouncing Yale they dined in especially fine style. Courtesy of BETTY IPPOLITO--last year's softball captain--the entire team descended upon the Ippolito restaurant in Connecticut for a lavish banquet consisting of eggplant parmesan, sausage and meatballs, salad coleslaw, potato salad, breads, chocolate cake, carrot cake and pitches of beer. Not contest to totally satiate the aquawomen, Mr. Ippolito disappeared into the kitchen where he made eggplant parmesan and meatball sandwiches for the short file back to Cambridge. "You always with later that you had taken that extra bite," he admonished one groaningly-full sprinter... Freshman DONNA MARCIN celebrated his 19th birthday at the restaurant...

* * *

Coach George Ford and has soccer-playing charges will be missing more thanthe services of senior All-Ivy winger MAURO KELLER-SARMIENTO next season. It seems Mauro's two brothers, junior ANDREAS and freshman PABLO have returned to Argentina to fulfill their military obligation and won't be around next fall.

The loss of all three Keller-Sarmientos could be devastating to a squad that finished disappointingly deep in the Ivy League standings.

There's nothing like a classic Ivy League showdown to bring together old captains and coaches. Spotted in the stands of Boldgett Pool during the Harvard men's blowout of Princeton University recently were ex-captains DICKIE GREER '90 and GEOFF SEELIN '81. And at the Varsity Club reception following the women swimmers' most against Princeton ex-captains SHARON BECKMAN '80 and KATIE KELLEY '81 were seen trading reminiscences with former women's swim coach, STEPHANIE WALSH.

And this from the "Famous Relatives" Department: Did you know that senior hockey player SCOTT POWERS' older sister, Deborah, is the attractive brunette playing racquetball on the cover of the Wheaties box? And did you know that junior football safety JOHN RICE'S father Greg, held the world record in the two-mile distance for over twelve years starting in the late 1930s? Rice--a Notre Dame alum--was rejected for the draft for hernia problems just days before he blazed to the new mark...

* * *

A lot of men and women sing in the shower fantasizing that they have wonderful voices, but one such crooner actually does have a vocal gift. Football back SCOTT MCCABE--who apparently serenades his teammates in the locker room and the injured in the Dillon House training room--will be exercising his vocal chords at next Friday's Quincy House dance when the band he sings in makes its debut as the opening act. The Fuses are a band featuring three sophomores, two juniors, and one senior...

* * *