Swimmers Set for Yale After Battering Quakers

By David L. Yermack

The Harvard men's swimming team had little trouble winning its 21st straight dual meet Saturday, capturing all but two events in blowing the Penn Quakers out of the water at Blodgett, 84-27.

The victory leaves only next Saturday's meet at Yale between the swimmers and a second consecutive 9-0 season.

Three seniors shared the spotlight in the final home meet of their Harvard careers. Jack Gauthier and Tim Maximoff ran one-two in the 200 freestyle, and in the next-to-last event, Jack Ewing came home in 2:13, 98 to win the 200 breaststroke.

Gauthier, an All-Ivy and All-East selection last year, capped off a busy weekend with his freestyle victory. Friday against Cornell, he won the 100 butterfly, swam on two victorious relay learns and beat the entire field while swimming exhibition in the 100 freestyle.

Diver John Lightfoot was the meet's only double winner, scoring a 294.55 on the one-meter board and then capturing the three meter event with 289.76 points.

Penn broke into the victory column when Don Baker won the 200 freestyle, and John Olsen outlasted the competition in the 500 free.

With victory never really in doubt. Crimson coach Joe Bernal concentrated on qualifying more swimmers for the Eastern Seaboard Championship, to be held at West Point March 6. Harvard has won that meet the last three years and should be a heavy favorite once again, since it has beaten most of the teams in the field this winter.

Freshman Brian Guttkau led off the 400 freestyle relay with a 47.95 leg, which qualified him for the 100 freestyle.

Both coaches agreed to run a special 400 individual medley race, an event normally not held in dual meets, to allow swimmers to attempt qualifying times for the Easterns. Five from Harvard made the cut--Matt, Davis, Maximoff, Courtney Roberts. Jon Sappry and Toro Ventor Co-captain Ted Chappell. who won the event at the Easterns last year, has already made the field.

Harvard can only enter 18 men in the Easterns, but Saturday's meet left Bernal to choose from 21 who have bettered the qualifying times.

THE NOTEBOOK: After this Saturday's meet in New Haven, Bernal will have to exclude at least three swimmers from his lineup for the Easterns.