MGH Studies of Skin Cancer Find Major Surgery Unneeded

By Holly A. Idelson

Doctors can now safety treat melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, with out causing disfiguration, a study released today by fore doctors a Harvard affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) shows.

The report, appearing today in the New England Journal of Medicine, says that directors can now perform the surgey while removing significantly less skin then previously required. Calvin Day, Clinical and Research Fellow in Dermatology and principal author of the study, said yesterday. As a result, the melanoma can be removed without major surgery, he added.

The procedure advocated in their study--well not only dramatically reduce scarring but will also save patients money. Dr. Ronald A. Malt. professor of Surgery and senior author of the report, said--Monday. Because the simpler operation does not require that the patient be hospitalized, removing a melanoma might cost as little as $175. Malt added. Treatment currently costs close to $1500.

Malignant Melanoma, the fifth most frequent form of cancer and the most serious form of skin cancer, spreads very rapidly and is highly lethal if not treated immediately. Doctors believe the disease, which caused 5100 deaths last year, may be caused by exposure to sunlight.

Referring to the development of a new technology allowing doctors to product according the which tumors will spread, the five doctors recommended less extensive surgery to remove melanoma tumors. An eight study at MGH after showed that the limited surgery does not increase the danger of the cancer specialist.

Currently doctor remove at least two in check of skin on both sides of the tumor along with the turner itself, leaving a large gap that must be covered with a short graft. The report recommends cutting out much smaller amounts of skin around the turn or. The smaller hole can be closed with side to side seizure, which is simpler to perform and leaves considerably less scarring than a skin graft.

Three other MGH demythologizes helped research the report. Thomas B. Fitzpatick, Wigglesorth Professor of Dermatology Martin C. Mihm Jr., professor of Pathology, and Arthur J. Soher assistant professor of Dermalology.