Graduate Student Remembered As Intelligent, Caring Person

His dissertation adviser and his doctor yesterday described Edward M. Hood, a student at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) who was found dead in his apartment Monday night, as a bright academic and a consideate person.

Administrators at the GSAS confirmed yesterday that Hood was a graduate student, but knew little about him because he had been enrolled only intermittenly since the 50s.

Several friends and the building superintendent found the 47-year-old Hood dead in his room an Mann Ave. Cambridge Medical Examiner George Hori said yesterday that Hood, an epileptic, suffocated after vommitting during a seizure.

William Alfred, Lowell Professor of Humanities and Hood's adviser, said yesterday that Hood was "a sensitive and gallant man, one who would dpend much time helping out others."

In the late 50s, Hood took over a summer school course for ab ailing professor, Alfred said, adding that the course survived and "the students loved him."

Leaving Harvard several years later, Hood starred in Andy Warhol's movie, "The Hustler." Alfred said Hood spent time in Harvard Square helping drifters, even lending them money at times.

Alfred said Hood was begining to recover from a period of personal problems and was planning to complete a thesis on love in the works of Shakespeare he had been working on for nine years.

Dr. William Kaden, who treated Hood at University Health Services for 16 years, said yesterday that "Hood was a remarkable teacher with great promise," adding that "it's a shame things didn't work out for him."