Ad Board Suggests Student Handbook Change In Response to Past Drug-Related Incidents

By John D. Solomon

The Administrative Board recently proposed adding to the student handbook a warning about criminal penalties for drug possession and distribution, apparently in response to incidents over the last few years in which undergraduates have been arrested for drug-related crimes by local police.

The Ad Board recommended the addition, which the Faculty must approve, because "over the last few years some Harvard students have been apprehended by non-University police," John B. Fox Jr. '59, dean of the College, said yesterday. "The Ad Board wanted to make absolutely certain that we had made the local laws perfectly clear," he added.

The proposed addition would read. "Students are reminded that there are heavy penalties including imprisonment for possession or distribution of illicit drugs."

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday of the amendment, "There is not a drug problem at Harvard, but we wanted to be more explicit about the consequences of the College not being a sanctuary for drug use."

Recent Incidents

During the past school year, there have been two major drug-related incidents. In December, the University Police apprehended two Quincy House students for alleged possession of marljuana, and two weeks ago Andrew D. Sigal '85 was arrested for alleged cocaine possession and intent to distribute.

The Ad Board took undisclosed action in the Quincy House case, but the University Police recommended that Sigal be arraigned. He will face a hearing in Cambridge District Court next month. Jack Morse of the University Police said yesterday.

For denied that the two most recent drug-related actions prompted the handbook amendment and pointed to "incidents over time."

But Natashe Pearl '83, a member of the Committee on Houies and Undergraduate Life (CHUL)--which, Pearl said, will probably approve the proposal next week--said yesterday she thought the Quincy House incident forced the College to take action.

The Ad Board's recommendation also calls for including in the student handbook a sentence that documentation of state and local laws related to drugs will be available in senior tutors's offices and the Freshman Dean's Office.

After CHUL votes on the Ad Board recommendation, the Faculty Council will rule on it before it goes to the full Faculty at its May meeting.