Police Suspect Man in Laundry Thefts

Wait for Next Move to Make Arrest

By Mark E. Feinberg

University police said yesterday they know who has been stealing laundry and women's underwear from the Matthews laundry room, but are waiting to catch the suspect in action so they can arrest him for more than trespassing.

"We definitely know who it is--it's not a student but a street person," said a Harvard policeman, who asked not to be identified. The suspect is a 25-year-old white male with brown hair and a beard, he added.

Four thefts last month and three this month from the un-locked Matthews facility, as well as reported incidents in Winthrop and South House, have prompted concern among proctors and students and warnings in the Yard Bulletin and the South House newsletter about doing laundry late at night.

In addition to numerous cases of shredded and stolen underwear, one student claimed to have lost more than $200 worth of clothes in a theft from Holworthy laundry room last month. In another incident, a student said her clothes disappeared but reappeared a week later without her underwear.

One policeman called the underwear theft "someone's fetish," and noted that there have also been cases of theft of men's underwear and jockstraps. He added that thefts of designer jeans and shirts--"a quick $50 a whack"--may be unrelated to the stolen underwear.

Student Safety

Matthews proctor Christopher S. Auguste '80 said the matter was raised at a West-Yard proctors' meeting, but that proctors are more concerned about student safety than theft.

Students also voiced concern that dangerous characters could enter the unprotected facilities until late in the night. "It's ridiculous that anyone can walk into the [Matthew's] laundry room without a key--the Square is right there and it's so dangerous," said Matthews resident Doreen M. Kelly '85. Kelly added that she prefers to do laundry late at night when the machines are more likely to be available.

University officials say the laundry theft problem has existed for many years.