Softballers Outplay Wheaton, 19-6; Jakovic and Romero Toss Four-Hitter

By Gwen Knapp

When a pitcher does out 11 walks in four innings, and her defense commits eight errors, the phrase "home free" should take on new meaning for the opposing team.

But if Harvard's 19-6 romp yesterday is any indication, the Wheaton softball team has very few lexicographers on its roster--and even fever clutch hitters.

Hit'em High and Low!

Crimson hurler Ellen Jakovic had trouble finding the strike zone all afternoon, but her less-than-masterful, two-hit, four-inning stint translated into her second win in three outings and evened her team's season mark at 3-3.

"I never had that much trouble with my control before, and so I kept trying to adjust my release and my delivery when I just should have gone with what felt right," the senior mound artist said after the game. "Tomorrow afternoon in workout. I'm going to be throwing a lot so that, hopefully, I'll be prepared for the Ivies this weekend."

The Crimson infielders were also guilty of several lapses, but their gloves bailed Jakovic out of jams often enough to overshadow the eight miscues.

Third baseman Pat Horne speared a line drive headed for deep left to save at least two runs and retire the side in the third. And in the top of the fourth, with the bases loaded, one out, and three runs already across, shortstop Marlene Schools went to her left for a one-hopper, and gunned it to second baseman Alissa Friedman--who relayed to first just in time to complete a twin-killing, and uncommon play in softball.

Behind the plate. Gill Raney displayed characteristic poise, gunning down two Wheaton baserunners and preventing a number of Jakovic's servings from reaching the backstop.

Val Romero took over for Jakovic in the fifth and proved that she has sufficiently recovered from an early-season knee injury.

In three innings, Romero allowed just one run on only two hits, while recording three strikeouts and setting Wheaton down in order in the final frame to record the only one-two-three inning of the ballgame.

"Val has really come on to become the ace of the staff," Coach John Wentzell said of Romero, the only Crimson hurler with pitching experience prior to this season.

While the Harvard squad took the opportunity to examine and correct defensive weaknesses, the Wheaton team would probably rather forget its performance.

Things got really ugly every time the team from Norton took the field. Starting pitcher Ellen Brigham issued 10 walks and threw three very costly wild pitches. The Wheaton receiver had three passed balls, and the other seven players aided the Crimson's cause with 10 errors.

But Harvard batters didn't really need assistance from the Wheaton squad. With 12 hits, including a Raney home run and a two-for-three day from Jakovic, the Crimson racked up its season-high scoring tally.

Only Jakovic remained in the lineup--playing centerfield--by the time Harvard was up for its final at-bat, but the subs still managed to but around and put the final four runs on the board.

THE NOTEBOOK: Junior Cindy Phillips and freshman Joanie Cunningham (not of "Happy Days" fame) have 11 years of softball experience between them, and in the J.V.'s loss to Northeastern's varsity Saturday afternoon each hit the first home run of her career.