Spikers Roll Over Opponents In New England Tournament

By Mike Knobler

"I'm sick of seeing them," Crimson spiker John Ross said last week about Harvard's competition, or lack thereof, for Saturday's New England College Volleyball League tournament. "We've already proved we're times as good as them," Ross added.

The Harvard men's volleyball team proved its superiority once again, sweeping through the double-elimination on tourney without single loss. Even runner-up Springfield, losers in two matches against the Crimson during the regular season, posed on threat to a Harvard victory. The spikers topped Springfield twice Saturday, capturing the final by a score of 13-15, 15-10, 15-2.

Ross's domination of the center of the net earned him tournament MVP honors. "He didn't play above his head." Crimson Coach Mike Palm said, but he was still head and shoulders above the rest. "He's just a much better player than any of the people he'll play against in New England," Palm explained.

Palm himself garnered an award, as he was named New England Volleyball Coach of the year. Palm took a team with only one senior and one junior on its starting line-up to an undefeated regular season.

Close the Door

Of the spikers, only Ross made the All-New England team, but this fact stems more from the selection process than from the merits of the players involved. "There's nobody on the All-New England team (except Ross) who could make our starting six. "Palm said, adding that Sean Doyle and Jon Tanaka enjoyed fine outings.

The biggest danger the spikers faced was taking the tournament too lightly. After gaining a berth in the final, Palm's charges killed two hours tossing frisbees, eating at Burger King and bathing in the sunlight of the 75-degree day.

Next weekend the spikers face a tougher challenge when they travel to Pittsburgh for the Eastern College Volleyball League tournament.