Kirkland Mastership Still Open As Prime Candidate Declines

By Lavea Brachman

The search for a new Kirkland House master suffered another setback this week when the faculty search committee's main candidate declined to take the post, John B. Fox, dean of the College, said yesterday.

Fox declined to comment on the identity of the candidate, saying only that he was a professor at Harvard and that he declined the offer for personal reasons.

The six-member search committee will immediately begin reviewing the list of candidates previously considered for the position, Fox said.

New Revolutions

"Until this time, the process has revolved around the hope that this one person would accept our offer," said the dean. "Now that we're in a new stage, we'll have to work very hard to fill the vacancy," he added.

Evon and Catherine Vogt will retire as co-masters of Kirkland after 10 years to pursue academic interests Evon Vogt is a professor in the Anthropology Department.

Kirkland House Committee members and residents have speculated that the search has been called off until after Commencement on June 10. But Fox said the committee is hard at work and that "there will certainly be a master of Kirkland House by September."

Fox said he did not know whether the master would be a temporary or permanent choice.

"There has been some discussion about the possibility of hiring a temporary master." Stephen E. Larkin '82, a student participant in the initial stages of the search said.

Kirkland House students began working with the faculty committee in its quest for a new master in December. The students submitted a list of about 20 recommendations to the committee this semester.

"We tried to pick through all the stereotypes of Kirkland House to get at the qualities and the truisms of the place, such as friendliness, open, out-going," Larkin said recently.

The final decision on who will replace the Vogts rests with the faculty committee, which consists of President Bok: Henry Rosovsky, dean of the Faculty: Sidney Verba, assistant dean for undergraduate education, Radcliffe President Matina Horner. Thomas A. Dingmarn '67, assistant dean of housing: and Fox.