A Sensible Policy

FORCED COMMUTERS

"ENTER TO GROW in wisdom, depart to serve thy "country and thy kind," the gates of the Yard command. "Expand thy ego ad infinitum, and clutter thy house with Veritas collectibles from the Coop," is the message that often creeps out from between the lines. And a lot of people buy the whole business, assuming that they have achieved the American dream merely by happing into John Harvard's lap.

One special group of prospective freshmen has recently protested what they see as the University's inhumane refusal to share with them the joys of the inestimable Harvard Experience Twenty of the 41 obligatory commuters--local students accepted for the Class of 1986 only on the condition that they find their own housing have angrily complained that they will miss out on the non-academic education gained from dorm life and casual campus activities.

"I wish they wouldn't have accepted her at all," said one incensed parent of his commuter-daughter. "I think it's a slap in the face." A long-time Harvard administrator argued that foreing a specific group to live at home was comparable to exiling them to a leper colony--not the kind of move likely to improve community relations.

Having tripled the number of commuter-admits, the admissions office was portrayed as a heartless hoarder of Harvard's treasures. But had the school done wrong' It would appear not.

Dean of Admissions William R. Fitzsimmons '67 pointed out that the commuters are students who just barely lost out in the rough application competition but received a second chance because of Harvard's desire to pay special attention to local residents. They were not accepted in place of on-campus students to make more room for those in the Houses. In fact, many of the commuters move into College residences after freshman year. And even if Harvard does accept the commuters as a means of bringing in extra tuition without additional crowding, as some have speculated, the benefit would seem to be mutual.

"The key question," as Fitzsimmons put it, "is whether these people would have been happier to receive this option or a rejection letter." Apparently, the answer in many cases is the rejection letter, and that's too bad.

Perhaps it's presumptuous to argue from the inside that others can make do elsewhere for a few years, but why shouldn't more people have the opportunity to choose to learn, if not live here. The unhappiness over forced commuting, though not mysterious, often seems to stem from the same unwarrented awe for things Crimson that afflicts a large proportion of on-campus residents. Students who missed a standard acceptance here by a hairsbreadth are no doubt capable of getting into other reputable institutions of higher education. An offer from Byerly Hall, especially a qualified one, should not be irresistible.

As long as Harvard encourages commuters to participate in all campus activities and provides them with a commodious home base in Dudley House, the practice of giving local students the commuter-admit option should continue.