Laxmen Cruise to 15-6 Win Over UNH

By John Rippey

Get this one down on tape. Save it for eternity Play it back for God when you finally meet and He asks if you've ever done anything good in your life.

The Harvard men's lacrosse team played superbly and beat the University of New Hampshire, 15-6, yesterday, in one of those games where everybody plays, and everybody who plays, plays well.

Rob Hawley scored four goals Steve Voelkel scored three Tim Pendergast made 21 saves Fourth team midfielder Matt Arnold won three face-offs.

Harvard, now 7-4, outshot New Hampshire, 55-48, out-ground-balled them by almost 30 pick-ups (73-48), did almost everything but sit the Wildcats down on the field-cross-legged like Indians--and show them how real players tie the webbing on their sticks.

"We blew them out," said Assistant Coach Steve August after the game. "The defense was solid all along, and the offense started moving the balland showing the type of game we're capable of playing."

New Hampshire is not a bad team. They are not a good team either, but they do have a 5-4 record, including wins over Brown and Middlebury.

Yesterday's win, although it will not add to the Crimson's prestige, feels particularly good after a disappointing weekend.

Harvard came into the game on a potential downbeat after an apathetic performance against nationally eighth-ranked Rutgers Saturday. The 8-6 loss robbed them of a chance to break into the rankings themselves, and all but eliminated them from consideration for the national tournament later this month.

The team that showed up yesterday, however, gave few indications that its season may be over soon. There's always that hope.

Yesterday's win around two bursts of particularly strong play Down 2-0 just a few minutes into the first quarter. Harvard suddenly picked up the offensive end and ripped off nine straight goals by the end of the half.

Though several scores came on man up situations, the Crimson generated most of its offense by exploiting unsettled situations, picking up loose balls and moving them up the field for fast breaks.

New Hampshire briefly turned the play around and outplayed the laxmen in the third quarter, outscoring Harvard 2-1.

The Wildcats carried some momentum into the fourth quarter until for the second year in a New Hampshire coach Ted Garber asked the referee to inspect a Crimson defenseman's stick.

Garber's move worked as Harvard defenseman Chris Esmonde was assessed a penalty for an illegal netting. But the penalty roused the Crimson to a starring defensive effort, and the Wildcats could not capitalize on their three-minute advantage Led by penalty-killing specialist Tom McGivern. Harvard held New Hampshire to just one goal.

Harvard then poured in five more goals to make the final score 15-6.

Next up for the Crimson are number-10 ranked Adelph on Saturday and number-12. Dartmouth the next Saturday. Two impressive performances could vault the laxmen into the coaches poll and consideration for nationals.