Libraries May Permanently Extend Hours

By Christopher J. Georges

Some Cambridge night spots shut down by twelve, but College libraries may soon keep their doors open until 1 a.m.

Officials are currently considering a proposal that would permanently extend the hours of Lamont and Hilles Libraries by an extra hour Monday through Thursday nights.

Final Decision

The proposal was submitted by the College Life Committee, a student-faculty committee of the Undergraduate Council.

The College may reach a final decision within the next month. Heather E. Cole, librarian of Hilles and Lamont, said yesterday. She will make the decision with W. T. Feng, Roy E. Larson librarian of Harvard College, Cole added.

'Reasonable Request'

"It is definitely a reasonable request and my inclination is to support it," said Cole "Right now, the major problems are with scheduling and the budget.

Although the libraries would remain open until 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday and until 2 a.m. during Reading Period, the proposal states that library services, such as the reference desk and the reserve book sections would be closed during the extra hour.

Extra Space

"Basically we're just asking for extra study space," said Ronald G. Hrstka '84, a member of the 10 person College Life Committee, and we want as little money spent as possible."

"The freshman dorms and the Quad houses don't have house libraries, so the extra space is very important for them," committee member Catherine D. Thomas '84 said yesterday.

Dubious

But Cole questioned keeping the libraries open for the extra hour only as a "study hall." "I don't see the practical value of sending the staff home and leaving the lights on," she said.

However, Cole added, "The proposal definitely can be worked out."