Core Sales Low

Short Takes

The Core office was off-about 1000 copies off--to in production of how many copies of his core syllabus book it would well.

Core Office officials complied the 270 page books, which feature the syllabus and reading list of 53 Core Courses offered this fall, to streamline stopping period by printing the handouts distributed during the first few days of classes. Core Curriculum Director, Edward T. Wilcox, said yesterday.

Assuming that each rooming group would purchase a book, the Core Office had 2000 copies printed at a cost of $6 each, and sold them at the Union during freshman week and at registration, Wilcox said.

Wilcox estimated that his that his office sold only 600 copies of its book, for $5 each, and gave away 300 complimentary copies to freshman advisors, senior tutors, and professors.

"It's like a list of about scholarly books that come out," Wilcox reflected. "It got wide critical acclaim but was a financial flop."

Wilcox said they charged $5 because freshmen should not have to pay $6 for such a book.

"There was no way we could make a profit." Rebecca Suikia-Wilson, a Core Office staff assistant, said yesterday, "Of course we would have liked to sell more copies, but we had too short a time to judge our market," she added.

The office decided to put the book together late last spring, Wilcox said, adding that he may bring out another syllabus book for spring-term courses, after making a closer prediction of sales.

As for the extra 1000 copies, Wilcox said that it comedy negotiating with the Admissions Office about giving them away to prospective students.