Draft and Aid

Forty undergraduates will soon receive letters from the financial and office telling then that they have 10 days to sand in forms verifying that they have registered for the draft or make alternate arrangements for receiving their financial aid.

There forms must be submitted before the financial aid Office can turn over federal grants to the students because of the federal law making financial aid to draft registration, James S. Miller, director of financial aid, said yesterday.

The students have been permitted to stay at Harvard because the federal money does not get credited to their accounts until later this term, his added.

The financial aid office sent out registration verification forms to 4000 students receiving some kind of federal or state aid, Miller said, adding that most likely the 40 students who did not reply received their forms late in the summer or did not get them at all.

About 15 of the students are women, Miller said, adding that he assumes that most of the students will send in their forms within the next few days. The letters are scheduled to go out this week.

This summer Harvard announced that it would offer alternate loans to students refusing to register for the draft who needed financial aid.

Miller said that he had only received two or three inquiries about the special interest leans, but that no one had taken one out.