Race Relations Study to Urge College to Adopt Active Role

By Holly A. Idelson

Harvard must take positive steps to improve race relations other than simply reacting to conflicts as the, arise according in a race relations study to be released later this month.

The report will urge the College to institute a series of race relations workshops for interested students a administrators, particularly student leaders, its author. Victor G. Freeman '84, said recently.

The workshops would help administrators understand student views on racial issues, he said, adding. "A lot of times they only get it through a bullhorn."

But Freeman went on to stress that the forums would only be effective if students take an interest in actively working with the administration to improve race relations.

Currently, most students "concentrate more on getting through Harvard than on sharing their diversity," he added.

The study, which includes an analysis of race relations since 1968 as well as policy recommendations, is the result of a College-sponsored summer internship.

Freeman, one of four undergraduates to apply for the position, was selected for the post after proposing the project last year, year.

During the summer. Freeman reviewed all official Harvard reports bearing on race relations and conducted interviews with administrators and House masters.

According to Freeman. College policy in the late 1970s shifted from encouraging community spirit among minorities on campus to instead condemning "separatist" structures.

While official University statements have addressed the problem of perceived discrimination, they fail to confront any real racism that may exist on campus, Freeman said.

Freeman, who was given a $200 stipend and an office in University Half, worked closely with Mack I. Davis II assistant dean of the College and Faculty.

Davis said this week he met regularly with Freshman and is helping to draft the report, but added that the policy recommendation in the study" are almost entirely Victor's."

Freeman's analysis of administrative policy on race relations was extremely thorough, Davis said, adding. "I think it will certainly become a part of institutional love on this issue."

Davis and Freeman said they plan to have the report ready for the first meeting of the student-faculty Committee on College Life slated for early November.

Dean of the College John B. Fox Jr. '59 said last week that the committee, which last spring authorized the project, would debate what action to take on the study.