Crimson Settles Libel Suit

The Student dally agreed earlier this month to pay $5000 in Phillip S. Andell, who claimed that he and his firm had boom libeled by in illustration for the article, Crimson President Jacob M. Schlesinger '34 said this week.

The settlement requires the newspaper to run 156 free advertisements for the company. Effective Writing Associates, during the next year.

The ads, which will begin appearing in The Crimson today, would normally cost just under $2000, said Business Manager Margot Singer '84.

The article, "Research Assistance: Buying Black Market Term Papers," did not actually mention the firm. However, a graphic for the story consisted of an ad for the company and the caption "recent advertisement for 'research' help."

Ardell alleged the illustration implied that his firm sold research papers to students. Ardell has said the company does not engage in such activity.

Schlesinger and The Crimson's attorney refused to comment on the settlement, beyond giving the details of the agreement.

Neither Ardell nor his lawyer would comment on the matter yesterday.

The last libel claim against The Crimson resulted from a picture the paper used for an editorial on prisons, which was published in the spring of 1980. The picture consisted of a silhouette of two Black students with bars superimposed over it, which students claimed implied they had been sent to prison.

That complaint was also settled out of court.