Mullen Grabs An Ivy Honor

When Beth Mullen broke a 1-1 tie in last Saturday's Harvard-Princeton field hockey match, she sent the Crimson rolling towards its fourth straight Ivy League victory.

And she sent her name rolling towards the Ivy League record books.

For her dazzling performance and her game-winning goal, the Crimson's senior sweeper has been named the Ivy Player of the Week Mullen shares the honor with Dartmouth's Carol Trask, who notched three goals and two assists to pace the Big Green to a 6-0 win over Williams.

It was Mullen's blast at 44:30 that put Harvard on top, 2-1. Saturday, and it was her four defensive saves that kept the Crimson there.

On a squad with few stars, Mullen has quietly emerged as one of the key reasons why the Crimson is 4-0 in the Ivies and just one league win away from clinching its first-ever Ivy title and the accompanying NCAA tournament bid. Her strong play on penalty corners and solid defensive play will be tested again Saturday when Harvard meets Brown in Providence

In other league news, the Crimson's Andy Maineth remains the Ivy scoring leader with six points. Her two goals and four assists leave her just ahead of Penn's B. J. Zellers, who has amassed four goals and one assist for five points.

Harvard returns to action today in a non-conference showdown with the University of Rhode Island at 3 p.m. on Soldiers Field.