Council Candidates Get Most Contributions Ever

Five Top $12,000

By I. JOSEPH Garcia

The current campaign for the nine seats on the Cambridge City Council will be the costliest ever, according to financial disclosure documents filed yesterday.

The 16 candidates have collected more than $100,000 for their coffers, with five contenders piling up more than $12,000 in contributions.

The figures, which cover the period up to October 21, follow a trend that began in the mid-1970s and saw war chests--particularly those of liberal progressives backed by the Cambridge Civic Association (CCA)--climb past the $10,000 mark. A city councilor's salary in the current municipal budget is $15,600.

Incumbent CCA councilor David A. Wylie led the contribution list for the second consecutive campaign, collecting $16,313.56 and spending $14.744. His total included a $9958.33 personal loan taken in his name.

Wylie said he would be "surprised if it's [his total] the highest," adding that the bulk of the contributions went to "the preparation and distribution of issue-oriented material."

Francis H. Duchay'55, another CCA incumbent, followed Wylie with $15,176.85 in receipts and $12,952.19 in expenditures. He and Wylie are seen to be facing a stiff challenge from Alice Wolf, a former Cambridge School Committee member and CCA endorsee who led non-incumbents with $14,221.42 collected and $11,550.61 spent.

"It's been 12 or 14 years since the CCA has had a [five-seat] majority," Wylie explained. "There have been five outstanding candidates for what has almost always been four seats."

Incumbent David E. Sullivan, who finished second in the 1981 election, had raised $13,750.64 and spent $12,529.20. Richard P. Branson, the candidate endorsed by the city's condominium owners' group, followed Wolf among challengers with $12,280.12 in receipts and $10,500.63 in expenditures.

Leonard J. Russell led the council's conservative Independent faction with $9723.84 in his coffers. Included in his receipts was a total of $9426 which he listed as "various fundraising under $15." Contributions of more than $15 must be attributed under state campaign finance laws.

Russell said he "runs dances and runs parties at Stephen James [a Porter Square restaurant]" to solicit the smaller donations.

Incumbent Thomas W. Danehy rounded out the Independent list with a $1940 total.

First-time challenger William I. Durette It had the low figure, with $1537.88 in receipts.

The other 12 candidates reported these amounts:

*Francis Budryk: $9348 in receipts, $9032.63 in expenditures.

*Daniel J. Clinton: $4044 in receipts, $1683.61 in expenditures.

*John Downing: $2865 in receipts, $968.24 in expenditures.

*Alfred LaRosa: $7205 in receipts, $6280 in expenditures.

*Walter J. Sullivan: $4803.68 in receipts, $3020.69 in expenditures.

*Alfred E. Vellucci: $2864.14 in receipts, $2545.42 in expenditures.

Incumbent Saundra Graham and challenger Winston C. Forde did not file statements in the city clerk's office before the 5 p.m. deadline. City Clerk Paul Healy said that the two candidates will not be penalized because a grace period is included in the state law