Booters Swamp Wildcats, 5-1; Finish Year With 9-5 Record

By Nick Wurf

It was the last game of a long and often painful season, but the Harvard women's soccer team went on on an optimistic note.

The Crimson's 5-1 victory yesterday at the University of New Hampshire left it with a 9-5 overall slate. But the booters fell short of their two goals: an Ivy title and an NCAA tournament berth. Favored to cop the league crown in 1983, Harvard suffered a rash of injuries that left it celebrating only the prospect of a fresh start next year.

And the '84 team should be a great one. Everyone will be back and in the words of sweeper Debbie Field, "hopefully without the injuries." The Crimson lost for the season its only experienced goalie and an offensive spark plug in its very first game, then almost half a dozen other players fell victim to various injuries.

Yesterday, two freshmen, a sophomore and a junior scored for Harvard. Junior striker Kelly Landry opened the scoring two minutes into the contest. The team's leading scorer, Landry, knocked in her 14th goal of the year. She scored again before the underclassmen took over.

Freshman Electa Sevier, sophomore Ann Baker and freshman Linda Doyle notched the other Harvard scores. Despite using so many inexperienced players--goalie Jill Vialet hadn't played her position before this year--the Crimson did not play down to the Wildcats' level.

"All the upperclassmen are broken," added Field. "But we'll be back, we're just bruised. With some good new players and exceptional freshmen like Doyle, [Wendy] Zeeben and Sevier coming back, we could be real good."