Undergrads Hospitalized After Car Accident

By Michael C.D. Okwu

Four undergraduates were hospitalized overnight on Thursday following an automobile accident. Drunk driving charges have been filed against the driver, whose car was totaled against a tree on DeWolfe St. and Memorial Drive.

Two of the students were rushed to Mount Auburn Hospital, while the other two passed the night at Cambridge City Hospital. Their injuries included minor concussions, serious bruises, facial lacerations, and, in one case, a collapsed lung.

The students, who were already members of the Delphic Club, had attended the club's initiation dinner 90 minutes before the accident. But they said yesterday that the accident had nothing to do with the dinner, where alcohol had been consumed.

"I don't want to bring any grief to the Delphic Club. It [the accident] could have been a totally unrelated incident. Any time you get a bunch of guys together they'll want to have a good time," said James Cavallaro '84, one of the students. The other passengers were Christian L. Connell '85, John A. Rudolph '85, and James G. Downey '85.

The car's driver and owner, Downey, will appear before a Cambridge court on January 10 for driving under the influence of alcohol, a Metropolitan District Commission patrolman, K. Hogabom, said yesterday. If guilty, Downey will face a minimum sentence of seven days imprisonment and a month's suspension of his driving license, the officer added.

Hogabom said that a Harvard police officer had seen the students' car run through a red light before hitting the tree, although the students said that the light was yellow.

Downey said that the accident occurred because he had to swerve to avoid hitting another car he said was moving in anticipation of a green light.

The college will not consider taking any disciplinary action against the four undergraduates until after the court case, a Harvard dean said yesterday.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said he was expecting a report of the accident from the Harvard police. But he added the Administrative Board, the College's disciplinary body, would not consider any action "until the courts have completed with the matter."

At the Club

Delphic Club president Michael P. Lap '84 said that the accident was the first involving the club in many years.

"We're by no means a drinking club. The ceremony was typically passive," he said.

No one was really inebriated after the ceremonies."

Since Epps recently closed down the Pi Eta Speaker's Club temporarily after members had been hospitalized for excess drinking, the club has made a "serious attempt to cut down on alcohol consumption," Lap added

It is not anything like the Pi Eta thing at all, where people were incapable of walking Cavallaro said

Treatment

After treatment Thursday night and Friday morning, Cavallaro and his companions were released from the hospitals. Cavallaro had required treatment for a collapsed lung and received two stitches

Downey and Rudolph also required stitches, while Council was treated for bruises.