Women, Men Harriers Ran Past Week

More Than Competent in Win

A good team can make a competent team look bad. By the same token, a not-so-good team can make a competent team look like champions.

The Harvard women's track squad that lost by 46 points against a flashy Army team last Saturday didn't look extremely impressive. But the Crimson team that fleetfootedly ran by the Boston College Eagles this Saturday at the Gordon Indoor Track by 10 2/3 points looked just short of brilliant.

The harriers thrashed the Eagles, 62 1/3-51 2/3, with a thorough team effort. Whereas the Crimson scored only one point in the field events against Army, it assembled 16 1/3 points against Boston College.

Kathleen Durante secured the shot put victory for Harvard when her put landed at 38'5", and the harriers swept the event when Loriel Boulris and Marie Acacia placed second and third. Mariquita Patterson won the long jump, clearing 16'9 1/2", with Theresa Moore in third place. Jacqueline Boudreau assured the harriers' field event success by finishing second in high jump action at 5'2".

The Crimson's legs carried them to five sweet victories in the running events against the sluggish Eagles, erasing the better memories of a squad that only broke the wire twice against the fast Cadets in its opening meet. Amy Simon set the pace for the harriers' winning the 1500-meter after a 4:37.4 long one-man show. Next, Patterson raced 55 meters over the hurdles in a winning 8.5 seconds.

Captain Kathryn Busby, determined to equal her teammates, ran 400 meters in a furious tempo, setting a new personal record with 58.63. Maryaan Harring followed Maryaan Harring followed suit, winning the 800-meter run in a respectable 2:16.6.

Good Show

Another harrier on the ball Saturday was Kathy Good, who bettered her second-place finish in a tough 3000-meter race, when she outran all competition in the subsequent 500-meter contest in a rapid 17:15.6.

"It was a combination of Boston College being weak and us being strong." Harvard Coach Frank Haggerty said about the win. Just how strong the squad is should be answered January 7 when it meets an aggressive Northeastern squad.