Lowell House Sponsors First Reading Given by Magazine

In an effort to increase awareness on campus of original student writing, the recently revamped literary magazine Padan Aram is holding a series of House-sponsored readings beginning tonight in Lowell House.

Funded by the Office for the Arts and some House committees, the series is designed "to give exposure to writers not necessarily as polished as those we publish." Diane Wachtel '84, the magazine's publisher, said yesterday, It also highlights "more unconventional works, or fiction that sounds batter when read aloud or performed," she added.

In the past, most fiction and poetry readings on campus have been sponsored by The Advocate, an older and more established literary magazine. But the Padan Aram series is the first to appear this year. David A. Longobardi `84, president of he Advocate, said his magazine generally holds one major to senior memers or writers published frequently in the magazine."

The Padan Aram reading series, on the other hand, is-designed also for people unfamiliar with the magazine. "Let's face it," Wachtel said. "There are a lot of people who don't really read literary magazines. This series is presented to reach them as well."

As an unofficial kickoff to the series, the magazine also sponsored a reading last night by Mary Robison, Briggs-Copeland Lecturer on English and author of works including "Oh!" and "An Amateur's Guide to the Night."