Basketball

SportsWrap

The Harvard women's basketball team continued to be downed by its Ivy foes, as the University of Pennsylvania beat the Crimson, 65-55, Saturday at Briggs Cage. The loss follows a defeat at the hands of Princeton Friday night. The Crimson is now 5-13 (1-6 in the Ivies).

While the Crimson seldom challenged the Tigers on Friday, Harvard kept to within a six-point range of the Quakers, only to falter in the second half. "We didn't box out well on the boards," Co-Captain Frenesa Hall said. "We also missed a lot of foul shots in the last quarter that could have clinched the game."

Neither team added many points to the score in the first half of play, but Harvard did manage to take a six-point lead. The Quakers took the same margin, mostly from free throws, as the hoopsters became more daring defensively and Penn scored in the bonus situation.

The brightest point in the Crimson play was center Elaine Holpuch scoring her 1000th point for Harvard, early in the first quarter of play. The game was stopped for coach and teammates to congratulate Holpuch and hand her two boxes of flowers. But Holpuch sat out most of the second half, leaving a noticeable gap under the boards. Penn got second and third chances on the offensive end of the floor, and Harvard gave away many offensive chances. The Crimson didn't connect on some high-percentage shots, and Penn was there to claim the rebounds.

Harvard, hoping to break its four-game losing streak, will face Northeastern in Boston on Tuesday. "I know the team wants to do well," Holpuch said. "I just hope we can be more strongly motivated to play better the next two games."