Lowell Counseling Center Aids Harassment Victims

By Holly A. Idelson

After almost a month of operation, women undergraduates staffing a peer counseling center have listened to a variety of harassment complaints, and are ready to discuss problems ranging from the extreme violence of rape to disturbances like unwanted phone calls

Most of the student concerns discussed at the center have involved not "classic" types of harassment but more subtle physical or psychological pressures, staffers said yesterday Many have involved intimidation within an existing relationship

Both men and women may experience these types of harassment the women said, adding that the center is open to all students who are harassment victims as well as their friends and roommates.

Christine E. Hayes '84, who organized the group, which is called "Response," said yesterday the counselors are on call to listen, not to give advice. "We're not pointing the finger at anyone," Hayes added.

Since early February, the women have staffed a room in the basement of Lowell House Thursday through Sunday nights, and operated an all night hotline seven days a week Many of the organizers were themselves victims of some type of sexual harassment

Hayes said she believes the center will attract students who would be reluctant to use other counseling services such as Room 13 House tutors or UHS

But she added that simply calling attention to the issue of harassment may generate wide scale student response "It wouldn't surprise me if Room 13 starts getting more calls about this Issue."

Staffers say they usually receive two or three visitors each night the center is open as well as several calls each week. Many students come by by the center simply to find out more about the organization.

Operations

The center received $300 from the University for operating expenses, according to the group's funding application filed with the Undergraduate council. The Council will decide on the group's funding application at tomorrow's meeting.

In addition to training sessions held earlier this year, the counselors will participate in ongoing workshops with three advisors from within the University.

Visit

Although the center currently is staffed entirely by women. Hayes said she is eager to involve men in the project. "Men are being harassed on this campus too." Hayes said, adding that harassment may not always be sexually motivated.

Staffers say several men have stopped by the room or called on behalf of themselves or a female friend. In addition, many have expresses support for the center's existence.

One staffer noted a friendly remark from a male student: "I hope you don't get too many calls tonight."