Snow Removal Goes Smoothly After Storm

By Catherine L. Schmidt

Forty assorted trucks and plows from the Cambridge Department of Public Works assembled at 4 a.m. yesterday to clear the night's sudden snowfall. But despite the season's two early snows, city officials said enough of the removal budget remains to clean up any more white stuff that may appear.

About one half of the department's $175.000 snow removal fund had been spent when the plowing fleet finished yesterday's operation at around midnight, said acting Public Works Commissioner Everett R. Kennedy. The budget can accommodate four large snow-falls, he added.

The season's first snowstorm, which hit Cambridge January 15, cost the city $43,000 to clear.

"We're still in pretty good shape," said Kennedy. But he added that there are not usually large snows before February.

To aid the plowing operation, Cambridge declared a snow emergency at 7 a.m. yesterday restricting parking on major streets, said City Manager Robert W. Healy.

But he added that the city did not begin towing cars until the afternoon "By then, people should have heard the morning and afternoon news," Healy explained.

Kennedy said that morning commuter traffic had not interfered with the plowing.

The snow removal budget has remained constant after being cut in the first year of Proposition 2 1/2. Before the property tax-cutting measure passed in 1980; the city could transport snow off main streets after plowing.

"Our budget allows for snow emergencies, but since Proposition 2 1/2 we can no longer haul it off the streets." Deputy City Manager Richard C. Rossi said last week.

The snow removal funds pay for the sanding and salting of roads, overtime and the cost of hiring about 26 private contractors to supplement city vehicles.