Aquamen Retain Boston Title For Eighth Consecutive Year

By Jon Askin

The Harvard men's swim team gave last night's Greater Boston Championships the attention it deserved: none.

Just for the record, though Harvard pulled out its eighth straight title, garnering 644 points to top B. U. by 85 points. Tuffs finished third, 300 points back, edging out B. C., MIT, and Northeastern.

The meet, however was even more one-sided than the score indicated, because Harvard Coach Joe Bernal allowed his charges to sign up for any events they chose. Most Harvard swimmers took the opportunity to try new events.

Fun and Games

But even so, Harvard met little resistance and swam listlessly Most members of the Harvard squad, in fact, agreed that they would have preferred to be at the Beanpot Butterflier David Lubitz '86 went so far as to say. "I'd rather be any where else even the library"

Many Crimson swimmers didn't even make it to the meet All-American diver Dan Watson '86 forfeited two almost guaranteed first-place victories to work on a chemistry lab

His absence enabled the other Harvard divers, Karl Illig '84 and Jon Lightfoot '85 to capture first and second in both diving events.

New Waters

With most of the team swimming out of their usual events, Harvard managed few firsts--in fact, B. U. claimed six wines to Harvard's five. Senior Co-Captain Larry Countryman, freestyler Tom Verdin and butterflier Bill McLosky notched Harvard's only victories in swimming events.

Bernal asked the question racing through every Crimson swimmer's mind last night: "What's on the line?" He and the squad knew the answer "A little pride, nothing more," THE NOTEBOOK: Several times throughout the meet, the lone voice of an excited spectator could be heard saying. "Get those Harvard guys!" The voice belonged to the father of B. U. 's Brad and Bren Howe--who both had considered attending Harvard but chose to accept B. U. 's scholarship offers Bren scored a first in the 200 back while his brother Brad finished third in the 500 free.