Priggish Hubris

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Your withdrawal of Bloom County on Monday represents a casual disregard for the fundamental issues of journalistic responsibility and a crude and apparently deliberate misreading of the intent of the strip itself.

As the sole paper of note in the Harvard community, The Crimson has editorial responsibilities to the rights of its readers on one hand and a general commitment to free expression of ideas on the other.

The Crimson has instead ignored these responsibilities with smug censorship disguised as liberal sensitivity.

The removal of Bloom Country suggests that the transition from the safe and complacent liberalism of Garry Trudeau to Berke Breathed's absurdist anarchy was a more radical departure that The Crimson was willing to accept for long.

We suggest that you publish Monday's strip, if only to inform Crimson readers of the banality of your prudery. Your misguidedly self-righteous concern over a nebulous offense is no more than a priggish display of editorial hubris. Ralph Vetters '85   Harry Browne '85