College Pinup Calendars Achieve Wide Popularity

A Weekly Survey of News From Campuses

By Mary K. Warren

A brand of school spirit far removed from pep rallies and cheerleading has spread throughout American campuses college pinup calendars. Typically featuring photographs of the school's best-looking undergraduate men or women, the calendars have appeared at colleges from Connecticut to California and are marketed nationwide.

Students of institutions as diverse as the University of Texas, Kansas State, Michigan State, UCLA, and Yale have produced either male or female pinup calendars in imitation of the original, which is believed to have featured men at Arizona State.

Profit Potential

"It's something an amateur can do, have fun, and maybe make a profit," said Chip Cerasoli, a University of Pennsylvania sophomore who is currently co-producing a "Women of U. Penn," calendar.

Producers generally select their models by looking through student directories or "facebooks," asking friends for recommendations, and staking out local student areas to find that perfect face.

Most students approached to model are flattered, if a little surprised, and the majority agreed to pose, several entrepreneurs said.

"I thought it could be really kinky," said a freshman model for the U. Penn, calendar who refused to be identified. "But it was on the level and turned out to be fun for us."

Little noticeable opposition, to the calendars has occurred on campuses, with the exception of Stanford, where a feminist group started a letter campaign to protest dehumanization of female models in last year's "Women of Stanford" calendar.

In most cases, producers report favorable reactions to their project, in part because of the lack of nudity or suggestive poses.

"We're not going for the wet bathing suit look or the towel draped over the genitals," explained a model for the "Men of Stanford" calendar who asked not to be identified. He added, "No one can be offended by what we've done."

A key factor in student response and sales of the calendars is simple school pride.

"There's a saying out here that nine out of 10 Californians are good looking, and the other one goes to Stanford," said Peter D. Kiplinger, producer of "Men of Stanford," adding, "People are glad we're proving it wrong."