Mark Fusco Named to All-American Squad

By Jim Silver

For the third time in his four seasons on the Harvard hockey team, defenseman Mark Fusco is an All-American. The senior, named All-ECAC last week by Eastern coaches, was chosen by the American Hockey Coaches Association.

Fusco is only the second player in Crimson history to garner All-American honors three times. The first was Joe Cavanaugh '71, Harvard's second-leading career scorer--who, like Fusco, played for an ECAC championship team in his senior year.

The list of All-Americans normally includes 12 Division 1 players, including a sextet from the ECAC and six skaters from the two Western leagues. In theory, then, the All-ECAC first team and the Eastern All-Americans should be identical.

However, only Eastern coaches select the All-Last squad. As a result, it was possible last year for Fusco to be passed over for the All-ECAC squad and still he named All-American. This year, his brother, sophomore center Scott, make All-East but not All-American.

The other two All-East forwards. Yale's Bob Brooke and Providence's Kurt Kleinendorst made the All-American team. Clarkson forward Colin Patterson beat out the younger Fisco (who finished higher in scoring during the season) for the third forward spot.