Student Coalition

Short Takes

Thirty-five local college students not Tuesday night at Boston University (B.U.) to discuss the formation of a causation of Boston area students to oppose linking Federal financial aid with draft registration.

Donald Marica, a B.U. sophomore and coordinator of the meeting, said yesterday that the coalition's aim is to inform students on each campus of the implications of the recently passed Solomon Act.

The act will deny Federal aid and loans to males who have not registered for the draft.

Students from Tufts and Northeastern Universities joined the B.U. students at the introductory meeting. Representatives from Boston College as well as Harvard are expected at the next meeting at Tufts on March 9, Maurice said. He added that he plans to contact students from MIT, Brandeis, and the University of Massachusetts at Boston as well.

Sesha Pratap '84, chairman of the Undergraduate Council, said yesterday that although other meetings prevented a Harvard representative from attending on Tuesday, he plans to bring up the coalition at the Council's Sunday meeting for official sanction and approval of delegates to the March 9 meeting.

The coalition's plans could include citywide rallies and letter-writing campaigns to Congressmen in addition to activities at every campus, Maurice said, adding that more concrete proposals would come out of next Wednesday's meeting.

"One of the major problems with Congress is that they don't hear from the people who they are affecting. If it doesn't change their minds, at least they will hear from us," said Mary Hayes, the coalition representative from the Undergraduate Government of Boston College.

Marine said the act is discriminatory because it focuses on studies who have not registered and who said financial aid. "If people are concerted about the law--the Fifth Amendment, due process, equal protection--they will look at this twice," he said.