Years of Practice Pay Off Freshman Pianist Holds Debut

Even the most novice musician gets a chance at a recital, but very few got to perform alone before a concert half crowded with Latin American diplomats, as pianist Min Chung '86 did during spring break.

Chung played her first full recital in Washington, D.C., on March 30 for an audience of more than 450 at the headquarters of the Organization of American States.

The performance lasted around 90 minutes, and Chung played some of her favorite works. She was also called back on stage for an encore. A Washington Post review of the concert described it as "creating a perfect balance between pure flash and lyric poetry."

"I thoroughly enjoyed the performance," the Wigglesworth Hall resident said. "I was very relaxed and established a good rapport with the audience."

Chung won the opportunity to perform the solo recital by taking the Highest Placing Artist of the Americas Award in the 1981 Bach International Piano Competition.

Although the spring recital was her first solo performance, Chung has played in three other major concerts this year, including one at the Kennedy Center in February that she was asked to play in after she received the highest score at the National Symphony's Young Soloist Auditions in January.

Because of her outside commitments Chung has not had time to prepare a recital at Harvard, but she hopes to perform in the Houses next year.

Chung practices about six hours a day in Paine Hall, and also takes lessons every other weekend at the Hart College of Music in Hartford, Com., which are specifically aimed at preparing recital pieces.

Hoping to concentrate in Music or Music and English, Chung is taking Music 51. "Fundamentals of Music," and Music 180, "Seminar in Performance and Analysis."

Pursuing a classical music career at Harvard is "hard but helpful," Chung said. She explains that "if I were at a conservatory, I would be carried by a tide of people with the same goal," adding that "at a university, I must be strong enough to pursue music, not because of people and the competition, but because of a personal desire."