Social Studies Concentration Tightens Freshman Admissions

By Preston W. Brooks

Because of a 23 percent increase in the number of applicants to the Social Studies concentration, 30 freshmen were turned down this year, administrators said yesterday.

The 30 represent 24 percent of the total pool of 123. Last spring all 100 Social Studies applicants were admitted.

Head Tutor Peter C. Jelavich said yesterday the concentration's fixed budget and staff size can only accommodate 90 to 100 new concentrators. The spring admissions were designed to leave room for fall registrants, Jelavich added.

Social Studies is one of six honors concentrations that limit the number of concentrators. Admissions are based on applicants' previous academic record, interviews and, in come cases, writing samples.

A Break with Tradition

This spring breaks a five year trend of Social Studies admissions increasing by about 20 percent, in respons to a mandate from Faculty officials to all restrictive concentrations. Jelavich said he expects the Social Studies admissions figure to stay at about 100.

"The past five years have been an intense growth period and it was difficult for both students and staff," he added.

Other Concentrations

The Literature and the History and Literature concentrations are still interviewing applicants. The History and Science concentration will still be accepting applications through tomorrow afternoon.

Patricia Hill, assistant head tutor for History and Literature, said yesterday that the total number of applicants had not yet been tallied. The concentration has set a ceiling of 130 rising sophomores.

Head Tutor Richard Sieburth said this week that about 25 students have applied to the Literature concentration, a figure roughly the same as last year's.

Elizabeth A.C. Smith, a department administrator for the History of Science concentration, said that as of yesterday 57 applications had been received. She projected that the total number of applications would hit 65, but said the concentration will only have tutors for 50 to 60 sophomores next year.