Education Jobs

Short Takes

Student leaders at the Graduate School of Education, responding to dissatisfaction with the school's job placement record, this week sponsored a sizable job fair designed to introduce students to potential employers.

Organized by the Student Association Cabinet (SAC), the fair drew representatives of 30 schools and organizations from across the nation. About 330 students, nearly half the student body, attended the two-day fair.

SAC President John Chetick said yesterday that budget cuts and the ongoing reorganization of the school's job placement office created a need for the job fair, which he characterized as students helping students.

Ursula Wagener acting director of the placement office, said yesterday the office is working to improve its effectiveness. She praised the fair for allowing students to "present themselves in person, allowing them to sell themselves in the most effective way through direct contact.

Students who attended the fair, which ended yesterday, unanimously praised the effort, which featured numerous interviews for teaching, counseling and administrative positions.

Several contrasted the fair with the job placement office's efforts, which they said had often proved ineffective.

Wagener said she hopes to join the SAC in sponsoring future job fairs, and SAC President Chittick said the group plans to sponsor another fair in November.

Organizations promoting jobs at the fair included Harvard, Boston University, Emerson College, a number of preparatory schools, the First National Bank of Boston, and the Hyatt Regency Hotel of Cambridge.