Rosovsky Report Says Aid Worries Exaggerated

By Michael J. Abramowitz

Publicity about cutbacks in financial aid has created excessive worries on the part of prospective undergraduates about their ability to pay for a college education. Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky argues in his annual report, released yesterday.

The eight-page report is a wide-ranging summary of the Faculty's recent efforts in undergraduate admissions and financial aid, financial planning and college student government. It reiterates points and themes voiced previously by him and other administrators.

Racism

Rosovsky raises the concern expressed by administrators in the past that poor students may choose not to apply to Harvard because of fears that they will not be eligible for adequate financial aid.

"We would be well advised. I think, to redouble our efforts to explain to prospective students and their families the realities of financial aid opportunities at Harvard and Radcliffe," Rosovsky writes, pointing out that the actual cutbacks in federal funding for financial and have often not been so bad as the public may believe.

GSL

He cites, in particular, the well-publicized restriction of automatic eligibility for Guaranteed student Loans to families with incomes below $30,000.

"What is not widely understood is that families with income over $30,000 can still be eligible for guaranteed loans if they can show financial need under their university's system," he says. "The truth is that a higher cost colleges like Harvard, students from families with incomes far higher than $30,000-often up to $75,000-will generally qualify for federally guaranteed loans," he adds.

Expressing his confidence that Harvard should be able to maintain "adequate" financial aid, Rosovsky concludes that section of the report by saying. "The facts about financial aid--at least at Harvard--do not warrant much of the anxiety created by exaggerated press reports. We cannot say so too often."

Rosovsky, in an interview yesterday, said that Harvard's financial aid office has increased efforts in the last year to let students better know their aid opportunities. In addi- tion. I. Pred Jewett '57, does of admission and financial aid, said that the last several months has brought "much more helped publicity" about student aid possibilities.

Half of Rosovsky's report is devoted to a summary of the Faculty's attempt in the last several years to improve its long-term financial planning, a topic he dealt with in his annual letter on the budget, released in the fall.

Writing is the cautious manner that has characterized his previous statements on finances, Rosovsky says that the Faculty has, in general, improved its ability to project long-term expenses and income through such projects as a capital construction planning systems.

Rosovsky cites seven assumptions the administration has made in drawing up financial plans for 1983-86.

* "Inflation will return to a more tolerable level, well below the record highs of recent years.

* "the total cost of attending Harvard College may increase in real terms;

* "the planning of real increases--that is, above inflation--is faculty salaries."

* "the continuing success of the Faculty's energy conservation program:"

* the uncertainly of scholarship costs;

* "the successful completion of Harvard's $350 million fundraising campaign; and

* "the new decision to finance construction through tax-exempt borrowing, rather than spending capital resources directly on plant renovation.

Harvard's Financial Vice President Thomas O'Brien said yesterday that the Faculty of Arts and Sciences has "led the way" among Harvard's nine faculties is improving long-range planning. "If inflation stays down and the investment climate stays good," he said, "things will stay quite good."

In addition to its discussion of finances and student aid, Rosovsky's report summarizes briefly the development of the Undergraduate Council, saying the new systems of student governance "will make student participation in governance more effective and rewarding."

Last year, Rosovsky's annual report discussed affirmative action in faculty hiring