Walk for Hunger

Twelve Harvard students are among the more than 5000 people planning to take part in a 20-mile walkathon Sunday through the streets of Boston to raise money for the area's hungry.

The Phillips Brooks House Committee for the Homeless has coordinated the Harvard students, who will begin the walk at the Boston Common and continue to Newton.

Last year's walkathon drew 4200 walkers and raised $280,000, Daniel P. Daley, project coordinator, said Wednesday. He added that organizers hope to value $300,000 this year.

Proceeds from the walk will go primarily to Boston-based food programs and shelters. However, 10 percent of the funds will be distributed among five international hunger organizations, including Oxfam America.

Ann F. Mohrbacher '83 of Leverett House will participate on Sunday and says she has collected more than 30 pledges from Harvard students.

Mohrbacher says she feels prepared for the 20-mile marathon because she jogs regularly and "climbs nine flights of stairs, about six times a day at Leverett."