Debate

The Harvard Debate Team last week capped off one of its strongest seasons ever with a fifth-place finish by its two delegates in the National Debate Tournament.

The debate team of Jonathan B. Wiener '84 and Jonathan Massey '85 lost to a Dartmouth team in the quarterfinal after beating a third ranked Georgetown in the second round.

The duo's finish marked the first time in three years that a Harvard team avoided elimination in the preliminary round. But Wiener said, "we were expecting to do better."

In their five tournament season. Wiener and Massey reached one quarterfinal, three semi-finals and one final round which they lost to Dartmouth.

The pair's regular season record earned it a .

With the primary seniors to the team prospects took," very good" for next year, we crading to couch Dellers Perking.

The nation's top loot top were composed of seniors, leading "askins to expect the Wienet-Harvey i cant to dominate in next year's nationally with Dartmouth.

In the past Harvard has with-only four of 24 tournaments. Its last victory was in 1979