English 70: WD

Short Takes

English 70 "American Literature from the Believing to the Attention Century" a Harvard Institution for more than 80 years will not be among the English Departments offerings next year.

The full-year survey course, which is strongly recommended for English and History and Literature concentrators will take a rare leave of absence from the course catalogue due to the department of two of the course's three main instructors.

Daniel Aaron, Thomas Professor at English retired after the fall term and Assistant Professor of English Andrew H. Delbance will be on a one-year leave in 1983-84.

Alan E. Heimert, Cabot Professor of American Literature and the course's one remaining professor, said yesterday that he would not teach English 70 next year because, "I can't do it myself."

Heimert, who has been teaching the course for 20 years, said that the course is too much of a burden for a single professor, and added. "I don't think it's been given by only one person ever, except in 1947."

Delbanco said that he is planning to return and will teach the course again in 1984-85. As far as he knows, he added, the course will be back in its old form. But for now, "It was decided that English 70 should be given a rest next year," Delbanco said.

Professor of English John M. Bullitt, who chairs the Department's Committee on Instruction, said that concentrators should not worry about fulfilling requirements because a similar course will be offered next year by a visiting professor from Columbia University.