Friends Eulogize John G. Short '70

Crimson Editor Remembered for His Activism, Creatively

More than 100 people gathered at Material Church yesterday to pay tribute to John G. Short '70, an individual remembered for his intectives enthusiasm and unbridled talent. Short died in Boston's Beth Israel Hospital Monday of cancer at the age of 35.

James Kunen, a long-time friend who delivered one of two eulogies at the memorial service, recalled Short's passion for life: "He was always completely into whatever he was doing." Short's interests run the gamut from softball to the radical politics of the 1980s.

While at Harvard, Short was most deeply involved in writing and photography at The Crimson. He served as photo chairman and supplement editor, and in 1970, he received the Dana Reed Prize for best undergraduate writing for a gripping personal account of the 1969 Weatherman riots in Chicago. [Excepts of the prize-winning article are printed below].

His father, Winthrop Short Sr., said Thursday that The Crimson was "where he got educated."

At least one reporting assignment actually threatened his education, recalled James K. Glassman '69, a former managing editor at The Crimson, Caught up in the momentum of a massive protest of Dow Chemical in the spring of 1968, Short and Glassman were arrested and faded suspension from Harvard. But than Dean of the College Fred L. Glimp '50 agreed to let them continue if they would drop their names from The Crimson's masthead for six months, Glassman said.

Several friends yesterday recalled Short's inspiring contributions to the paper and their lives. "He put it all together--the music, the politics, the youth, the enthusiasm," said Diana Mara Henry '69, a former Crimson photo editor.

James M. Fallows '70, who was president of The Crimson, said Thursday in an interview that "the most important thing about him was his embodiment of the non-threatening, non-aligned free-spirit of the day."

Although Short actively pursued politics, he also distinguished himself with a fabulous sense of humor. Often donning a black leather jacket and black cap, he formed the "X" group at Harvard, which parodied the volatile politics of the day.

Short continued writing after college at the Provincetown Advocate, where he was managing editor. Friends said his days in Provincetown epitomized his versatility and vitality. While there he organized a softball league conducted the first vote registration drive, played hockey for a team with a 1-30 record, and was the chairman of the town's Democratic Committee.

Short untied Northeastern University Law School in 1973 and went on to practice law with two firms. At the time of his death, he was with the firm of Dudley, Dudley and Topper in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.

Impressive

During the services, Kunea explained Short's career shift from the radical politics pursued at Harvard to a conventional law career, calling it a "transition from liberalism to conservation." Kunea quoted Short as saying after beginning his law career. "Everything still strikes me as being just as bad, but not so appalling."

Kunea added, "He realized that society could never be perfect and that he could only work towards the improvement of the lives next to him."

"Short was such a forceful and such a dynamic person that he can't be taken away from us," he said.

Short is survived by his wife, Carol (Shapiro) of St. Thomas, V.L.; a step-son, Alexander Robbins, and a step-daughter, Katherine Robbins, both of St. Thomas; his parents, Winthrop and Janet (Gerdes) Short of Cohasset; three brothers, Winthrop Jr. of Virginia Beach, Vs., Andrew of Chapel Hill, N.C., and David of Montague.

Donations in Short's memory can be made to the Beth Isreal Cancer Research Fund.