Pakistani Tribute

Short Takes

Annemarie Schimmel, professor of Indo-Muslim Culture, visited Pakistan last month to receive its highest honor for civilians in recognition of her pioneering work with Islamic literature.

Schimmel, the first women and first foreigner ever to receive the Hilal-i-Imfiaz Award, accepted the medal and scroll in a Pakistan government ceremony, March 23, which she described yesterday, as "like our commencement. I should say.

The award cited her "as an outstanding scholar of Oriental studies and Islamic teachings" and mentioned her extensive research on the life and works of Iqbal known as the founding father of Pakistan.

The citation also lauded Schimmel's numerous translations and published studies in Islamic poetry and religion. Her most recent work is "As Through a Veil: Mystical Poetry in Islam," published last year.

Schimmel said yesterday the Pakistani government presents the award only once every few years.

Schimmel, who teaches several graduate courses in Indo-Muslim literature and religion, has traveled to Pakistan at least once every year for 25 years.

Muhsin S. Mahdi, chairman of the Near Eastern Languages and Civilization Department said yesterday that Schimmel is "probably the greatest translator of Islamic poetry into English and German that is living."