Ruggers Travel Westward, Prepare for Eastern Bid

Most people go to California during spring break for the sun and perhaps a good golf game. Some, however, go to play rugby.

Instead of bringing back a tan and a low-tered handicap, they come home with a few beaten-up bodies--and a hard-fought victory.

For twelve days, the Harvard rugby team toured the Golden State, playing some of the best teams in the country in preparation for the Eastern Championships this weekend at Syracuse.

Mickey Mouse

The ruggers invaded the fields of Cal State-Long Beach, Santa Barbara and Hastings Law School, but the journey was highlighted by a 0-0 the with last year's national champions. Cal-Berkeley. The Bears were also number one two years ago, after defeating Harvard in the finals, so this year's tie was a gratifying grudge match for the inexperienced Crimson squad.

In all, the Cantabs amassed a 1-2-2 record before they headed for a much-deserved escape to Disneyland on their last day.

Although the Crimson did not fair particularly well in the scorer's column, it was up against teams that boasted not only talent but also experience. Cal-Berkeley had been involved in 23 contests, prior to playing Harvard in the Crimson's opener.

Said Co-Captain Kevin Lennon, "it was quite a learning tour. We improved from start to finish: everyone learned a great deal of rugby."

Without extensive team experience, the ruggers relied on individual talent to keep them in the early games. As the tour progressed, the demands placed on the Crimson by the strong competition worked as a catalyst, molding individual talent into a team effort.

The play of number eight Tom Sikorsky and new scrum half Greg. "Animal" Carey exemplified the improvement. "We came together as a team. It was a good experience to play them," said wing forward John Woodruff.

Doctor's Orders

While Harvard gained much-needed experience, it also suffered injuries in key positions that could effect this weekend's outcome. But injuries have not been the only thing depleting the ranks. A total of nine players will be lost to causes as diverse as pneumonia, a wedding and the MCATs.

Said Lennon, "This is the most important weekend, but we can't change things. If we can get by this weekend we can field a much better team."

Should the team beat Syracuse, a more experienced Harvard squad will have to win two more rounds--MCATs and weddings not withstanding--to reach the Nationals and perhaps another go at Cal-Berkeley.