Press and Politics

Short Takes

The Kennedy School of Government and The Los Angeles Times are co-sponsoring a conference on Congressional-media relations which will draw 35 congressmen, journalists and academics to the K-School this October, Jonathan Moore, director of the School's Institute of Politics (IOP), said this week.

The three-day conference is the inaugural event of the K-School's new Center on the Press. Politics, and Public Policy, Moore said. He added the IOP is funding events for the new center until the School finishes raising the $5 million necessary to get the Center underway.

The conference is planned as a follow-up on a January 1980 IOP event--also co-sponsored by The Times--entitled "Nominating a President: The Process and the Press." The program brought together 30 journalists and politicians and resulted in a book and a series of five half-hour television discussions on Boston's WGBH.

"After the conference in 1980 we started talking about a second event," said John Foley, the Times coordinator of the project. He added that he plans to visit the K-School in early June to plan the subjects for discussion and to draw up the guest list.